Wednesday, August 16, 2006

My Waking Hours: The Leeches

Blackness.

V.O.
I couldn't move my leg last night.

FADE IN:

INT. LIVING ROOM -- NIGHT

A shoulder's POV looks down at two feet frozen at the end of the couch.

V.O.
My doctor called it sleep paralysis. In the moments before sleep or upon waking an individual can find themselves frozen--unable to speak, move, or cry out.

CUT TO:

INT. KITCHEN -- MORNING

V.O.
But, then I wake up.

The golden lights of a ceiling fan reflect in a cup of coffee.

V.O.
Night comes.

CUT TO:

INT. BEDROOM -- NIGHT

V.O.
Frozen.

A shoulder's POV looks down at a body bundled under a comforter.

V.O.
My doctor told me that often times sleep paralysis is accompanied by hallucinations and many experts view the condition as the likely source of people reporting alien abductions, alternative realities, and imaginary creatures.

A candle near the bed flickers.

CUT TO:

INT. KITCHEN -- MORNING

V.O.
However, today it invaded my waking hours.

A hand lays flat on a glass table next to a black coffee mug.

V.O.
My hand would not move. It just sat there. Wouldn't Listen. Blackness.

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

INT. BEDROOM -- NIGHT

A shoulder's POV looks down at a body fully dressed, laying on its side.

V.O.
The condition also causes the presence. That is people report feeling something in the room, an intruder, and along with them sensations of dread and terror. Sometimes the presence will attack--strangling the person or crushing their chest and at times leading to an out-of-body experience...
(beat)
But they haven't done that yet.

Two men, late twenties, stern-looking and in suits stand in the corner of the room.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUBWAY STAIRWELL -- MORNING

V.O.
The next thing I remember is my breath.

POV looking down sees its own breath in the morning air.

V.O.
It was cold. I felt beside myself.

The two men in black suites appear across the street.

V.O.
Then they too invaded my waking hours. Perhaps I didn't sleep well and I was nodding out. That could explain this dizzy feeling I have...as if floating.

POV turns to the sky, spins, and falls. Sidewalk.

CUT TO:

INT. LIVING ROOM -- NIGHT

V.O.
I blinked. I felt frozen.

POV looks down at feet scrawled on the couch.

V.O.
The presence had returned.

Both men walk into the room.

V.O.
I wanted to scream. Nothing came out.

One of the men reaches into his jacket for something.

V.O.
I blinked.

CUT TO:

INT. KITCHEN -- MORNING

The whirling blades of a ceiling fan reflect in a cup of coffee.

V.O.
Things changed today...today my hand moved without permission.

A hand darts to grab something and knocks the coffee over.

V.O.
I stood for a towel. They were in the mirror.

Over the shoulder of a man, in a nearby mirror, stand the two men in a suit. As the man goes into the kitchen for a towel we see a pair of feet sticking out from underneath the table.

V.O.
I blink.

Blackness.

CUT TO:

EXT. STATION -- DAY

A train whizzes by. When it passes the two men in suits are standing in a field on the other side.

V.O.
Again I blinked.

CUT TO:

INT. CHURCH -- DAY

A pair of hands are resting upon a pew clasped in prayer.

V.O.
I wake up.

POV looks down at its knees.

V.O.
Why am I here? I don't believe. Maybe, it will help rid the presence.

A long shot of the chapel sees a single figure deep in prayer--alone.

V.O.
Why do I bow before this shrine? My legs are beyond control.

A shrine.

Blackness.

V.O.
They move and freeze as they see fit.

CUT TO:

INT. BEDROOM -- NIGHT

V.O.
I blink.

POV looks down at two bodies cuddled in bed.

V.O.
I awake. There is a stranger. But it feels good. I can't remember the last time I held someone.

The two men walk in.

V.O.
I wanted to run.

They approach the bed.

V.O.
I felt choked.

A pair of hands strangle the POV.

V.O.
Helpless, I forgot the girl. Blinked.

Blackness.

CUT TO:

EXT. STREET -- MORNING

V.O.
Breath.

POV looks down to see its breath.

V.O.
Again, I felt lost, dizzy. I looked down and saw nothing.

POV looks down. There is breath, but no feet.

V.O.
Where were my legs? Was I dreaming.

POV spins panicked.

V.O.
I use to dream, or say have a nightmare that I'd be stuck in place while desperately trying to run from something. Was I awake.

Running in form the distance are the two men in suits.

V.O.
Run I told myself.

Nothing moves.

V.O.
Run.

The two men get closer.

V.O.
I must be dreaming if I'm stuck.

Nothing moves.

V.O.
I can only watch.

POV darts around.

V.O.
Again, I blinked.

FADE OUT:

V.O.
And again, I'm frozen.

CUT TO:

INT. AUDITORIUM -- UNKNOWN

The auditorium is fashioned like a small movie theater. On the screen is television snow. One man sits alone in the dim, flickering light.

V.O.
Where was I?

The back doors swing open. Light pours in and the two men in suits follow.

V.O.
I could not feel my body.

The men approach.

V.O.
Scream I told myself.

Silence.

V.O.
Nothing would resonate.

The men are standing directly in the POV. Behind them the static ripples on screen.

V.O.
Fear engulfed me. I froze. I blinked. Blackness.

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

INT. BEDROOM -- NIGHT

POV looks down at body, legs bare, slightly drawn one on top of the other.

V.O.
Was it over?

The two men walked in.

V.O.
Lord help me I thought.

They paused.

V.O.
Then they spoke.

V.O. 2
Gabriel, it is time to go.

V.O.
My name, how long since I've heard it.

One of the men reaches into his jacket and removes a long black cloth.

V.O. 2
We can let no one linger.

V.O.
I wanted to wake. But, my body was dead still. Frozen.

V.O. 2
It's okay. There are many like you.

Both men are still.

V.O.
His lips did not move.

V.O. 2
It's hard to let go when one perishes. Many souls refuse to come back. They leech onto bodies and convince themselves it is their own.

V.O.
I tried to blink. I did not awake.

V.O. 2
Our job is to bring you home. You've perished Gabriel. That is not your body in this bed.

POV pulls out to reveal a man sitting on the side of a bed next to the man asleep.

V.O. 2
It's time.

Gabriel buries his head into his knees and sobs.

The man with the cloth walks over and drapes it upon his shoulder. He gently holds his shoulder and helps him up.

The other man turns his back to them and faces the door.

V.O. 2
We can let no one linger. The soul leeches must be gathered...I'm sorry.

Gabriel, and his guide exit the room first. The other suited man walks to the desk and extinguishes the candle.

Blackness.

GABRIEL
I blink. Frozen. Blackness. Forever.

The end.

No comments: